Monday, May 20, 2013

She Taught Me What Love Really Was



I don’t want to confuse any of you as I speak about my mother.  Most of you may think she had only one daughter, but really she had 4.  I was lucky enough to be one of the women who got to marry one of her sons.  So when I say “my mom” believe me when I say she was just that. 

I always joke with the family about the Howells not showing emotion.  You see they really aren’t a people of many words; which is funny because all I do is talk.  That is why you see me up here talking right now despite how hard it is.  I had to ramble at mom one more time.  I’m sure she is probably looking down thinking “That girl is still running her mouth.  Good grief!”  

 As I sat down to write the words I wanted to say to her that is what kept creeping into my heart.  I just didn’t fully understand what love was like Mom did.  I didn’t fully get it until now.  Mom knew that love was not words.  So today I want to tell you about my Mom’s love.

Love is making a wedding cake for the girl your baby son fell in love with just how she dreamed it would look on her big day.  

Love is helping your son and very pregnant daughter in law paint a nursery pink because your son was freaking out about his unborn child getting poisoned by paint fumes.

Love is holding that new baby girl and offering all the love and support you can even when the new mom isn’t as receptive as she should be, but you understand that her mom is gone and this must be really hard.  Still you are quietly there helping as you can.  Guiding and teaching even when that young mom doesn’t realize what you are doing.

Love is being excited over every tiny milestone your grandchildren and great grandchildren master over the years.  Probably more excited than the parents because you know how fast all of this goes and how important it is to savor even the tiniest accomplishments. 

Love is showing up every day in the car pick-up line to get your granddaughter, who likes to talk even more than her moma.  Heading straight to Sonic and sneaking ice cream that this mom would not approve of.   Daring her to say one word about it.

Love is sitting on the front porch in your rocking chair while that little girl digs in the dirt with a spoon and colors your concrete steps with sidewalk chalk.  Not caring that your yard may not be pretty or that chalk dust will be tracked all through your house.

Love is early morning rummage sales and negotiating big buys on stuffed purple unicorns, tattered puppy posters, and tarnished costume jewelry. Knowing the treasures lay in the time spent with a little one that loved her so dearly.

Love is homemade chicken soup on my kitchen counter after a drive home from work when all I could think was, Man I don’t want to cook tonight!

Love is cabbage casserole on my birthday because she knew it was my favorite meal.

Love is knowing God, having received his love, and knowing how to give that love to those around you…even the ones that don’t always deserve it.  Mom’s love was instilled in each of her children and is being passed down to her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

I’m so thankful for the huge part she played in my child’s raising.  I know that my daughter’s strong Christian faith has so much to do with her Maw.  I know that my faith has everything to do with her.  Through her love and the love she gave her son I have been changed.  I have become closer to God.  What better gift can one give another person?  

Thank you for loving all of us mom.  Thank you for making us all feel so special.  Thank you for being so selfless with your life.  Everything you gave made us stronger Christians, and I know that your reward in heaven is great.

Proverbs 31:26-31 "She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: Many woman do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."





1 comment:

  1. Jodie, thank you for sharing at the service and here on this page. My Aunt Betty was truly one of the most special people God ever put here on this earth. She did love you as her own, and no doubt about her love for that special other girl in your life. I can positively say that since Hannah has been born I have never had a conversation with her when she did not speak of her. She was truly a proud grandma and you are the daughter that gave her Hannah. I hate that we lived so far away for so many years and that I did not get to spend more time with her. Your words were a true affirmation of the person she was. I believe with all my heart that things were just as Mike said at her service - her last breath here was her first breath in the presence of God. What a legacy she left for her family and friends and how blessed you are to have called her mom.

    ReplyDelete