Friday, February 8, 2013

One Soul, Two People Forever Love (Part 2)



The days following our first date flew by.  Night after night James showed up at my house and we would sit for hours talking about anything and everything.  I felt like I couldn’t ever know enough about him and he was so curious about me.  No one had ever cared so much about me. He wanted to know what I liked and what I didn’t like and why.  He wanted to know my fears and my dreams.  I wanted to tell him everything.  I didn’t want to hold anything back.  I wanted him to know my best and my worst.  There was something about him and the way he looked at me that made me know he would never judge me. 

My legs dangle below me as we sit on the back of his black Nissan truck.  I could only see his silhouette in the dark night, but I could feel his warmth as he sat beside me.  Our conversation had spanned everything from our favorite food to our hopes and dreams for our futures, ones that we both knew had forever changed since our paths had crossed.  We both knew at this moment that no matter what happened from this point forward we would always be a part of each other’s lives.  As I listened to him speak I looked up to the beautiful sky.  Following my lead he looked up too.  A single star fell from the crowd that surrounded it.  It was like it knew it didn’t belong in the sky with the rest of them.  Almost instantly, as if in response to the first stars decision to leap, a second star fell right behind it.  “I’ve heard that if you see a shooting start with someone you will be in each other’s lives forever”, I say while I stare into the sky.  I look at him and see an outline of a smile on his face.  “I sure hope so…” he almost whispers. 

It had been another wonderful night out with friends.  We returned home from dinner and watched movies, but I had to return home so I could get up from school in the morning.  “Well guys I guess I better get out of here.”  I look over and James is already standing to walk me out.  He had seemed nervous all night but I couldn’t put my finger on what it was.  I had momentarily feared a couple of times that he was growing tired of me and that tonight would be the night he broke up with me.  I was too scared to admit how much I already cared for him and could only pray to God to keep him in my life.  

He followed me outside and we stood there for what seemed like a long time with this unfamiliar  tension surrounding us.  I was preparing myself for his reasons that he no longer wanted to see me.  I was prepared to stand here and take whatever he had to tell me determined to wait until I was in my car to fall apart.  After all, I knew this was all too good to be true.  I knew it wouldn’t last forever.  Forever! What are you talking about?  You don’t want forever.  You are 17.  You have plans.  You are getting away from here.  You are going away to college to become a successful, very rich business woman.  You are leaving and not looking back.  So what if he breaks this off.? I mean whatever this is.    “So I will call you tomorrow night after you get home from work”, his question snaps me out of my thoughts.  I realize he wants to see me again.  “Sure.”  I responded before he could fully finish his sentence.  “Are you sure you don’t need to study.  I don’t want to distract you from your schoolwork.” He continues; as if trying to convince himself it is really ok.  “You know I’m a senior and I pretty much know everything they are teaching at this point”, I smirk.  “Yea you are pretty smart, huh?  I always had to work hard at school.  Should have worked harder...I guess.” He fidgets while looking off behind me.  I nod not sure what to say.  I want to make him feel better, but I don’t know what to ask to find out what is bothering him.  Suddenly he exhales really hard, laughs to himself, kicks the gravel with his foot, and stammers out, “Can I…uhm…kiss you?  Would that be…okay?”  My heart skips a beat, my stomach flips, and my palms are instantly sweaty.  “Yes.  I would like that”, I say with a nervous smile.  He leans in very gently and I feel his soft lips on mine.  I can feel a slight tremble in them and I am oddly comforted that he is as nervous as I am.  The kiss was perfect, and I wanted to stay right here…this close to him forever.  I wanted to feel this safe and this loved for the rest of my life.





2 comments:

  1. Awwwww!!! I got goose bumps!! I am loving this story!! Ya'll are so great together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I have sweet happy tears in my eyes! This is SO much better than any romance novel (not the trashy stuff but the ones you wish you were apart of) I have ever read! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE continue this!!!! You guys are amazing & I LOVE reading about your life!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete